Poem 118:

When a Rainbow Cannot Smile

——————–

Lost in the abyss
is a rainbow that cannot smile
of lovers who no longer kiss,
the telltale sign of a heart
that needs to mend

When the petals on a flower
no longer bloom
time can still bring to an end
wars that rage, of awful words
we wish we did not say

Or perhaps,
the petals waits to bloom
on a knee that needs to bend
there lies the treasure of the kiss
that says I love you, lets begin again

Find again
the rainbowโ€™s gentle smile
held in the warm embrace
of a truly special friend

That ole knee,
can surely learn to bend
to earn the treasure of the kiss
that never ends.

ยฉ 2012 by James Spruell All rights reserved

Originally posted in my old site: utahwhispers (poem updated)

Previous Post
Next Post

14 Comments

1. t h i n g s + f l e s h

/  June 21, 2013

pure, immediate, distilled … lovely verse, perfectly tuned. tony

2. A very touching and heartfelt poem. Thank you for sharing it!! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. bennetta faire

/  June 22, 2013

Hello–first, thank you so much for visiting my new blog. Like you, I’ve experimented with several blogs–it’s quite an opportunity we have here, an interesting place to journey. I’m hoping my current one will last, but who knows? I enjoy your poetry, and your heart/spirit; I also read the article about “spiritual rock tumbler” at another of your blogs, and thoroughly appreciated that one! 2013 has been like being in that tumbler for me–but today, I’m able to see a bit more humor and character-building value in it, so thanks very much for God’s blessing. I don’t know if you can offer any thoughts on this–but I’ve struggled a bit with how to identify myself as a Christian on the blogs, without beating others over the head with my faith (not being inclusive, coming across as preachy or “judge-y”)–and also not falling into the performance trap, trying to measure up with other Believers, the super-Christians. Again thank you–and God bless you with His favor and grace. Bennetta

• Thanks for the very thoughtful words, and good luck on your blog ๐Ÿ™‚

As for your question, I’ve found that my most ineffective lessons as a professor came when I tried to ‘push’ or lecture on a subject vs. just share what I had learned about (fill in the blank). I think that probably applies to our faith, politics, etc., and is why I keep this blog to pretty much poetry with few photos thrown in.

I do hope you can find the balance that you are seeking!

• bennetta faire

/  June 23, 2013

I appreciate you taking time to reply–my take-away is that I suspect in previous blogs I’ve tried to do too much, which usually renders us less effective and leads to the burn-out I experienced. Thanks again, so much.

• ๐Ÿ™‚

4. ClownPonders

/  June 24, 2013

Really enjoyed reading this ๐Ÿ™‚

• thank you! I also enjoyed your poem ‘the Mirror,’ and the thoughts about only seeing the scar:-)

5. poignantly beautiful

6. beautiful poem! you are a brilliant writer:)

Comments ?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s